Michael is a corporate attorney with a strong background in data privacy, information security, intellectual property, and business-oriented technology. As a Partner with Trusted Counsel, Michael handles data privacy, information security, and other compliance issues. He also advises clients on IP and technology licensing, outsourcing, and services agreements. He is responsible for negotiating complex technology transactions involving software licensing, data analytics services, cloud hosting services, R&D, artificial intelligence/machine learning, and other emerging technologies. He also manages a large volume and variety of other transactions, negotiates standard and complex corporate and commercial agreements, and balances legal and business risks for clients.
Michael is currently spearheading Trusted Counsel’s initiative to help its clients understand and comply with the European Union’s GDPR, California’s CCPA, and other recent privacy developments. He helps them to understand and map the data flowing in and out of their organizations, and then guides them through the process of updating their internal and external privacy policies, online terms, and other third party agreements.
Michael is a very seasoned attorney with over 16 years of experience in the legal profession. He is certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) as a Certified Information Privacy Professional in the area of U.S. data privacy (CIPP-US). Before Trusted Counsel, he served as Associate General Counsel in the Technology, Intellectual Property & Strategic Sourcing Group at New York Life Insurance Company, where he negotiated and drafted strategic and tactical technology agreements with all major suppliers as well as other related services agreements and routinely advised internal clients on technology- and privacy-related issues. He also served as the Legal Officer and Secretary of the New York Life Foundation. Prior to that, he was an Associate at a number of New York firms, among them Loeb & Loeb LLP; Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP; and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP.
Michael graduated from Emory University with a B.A. in classics and French, followed by a Master of Arts degree in classical philology as well as Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy degrees from Yale University. He then earned his J.D. from Emory University.
Michael is also multi-lingual. He is proficient in speaking, reading and writing French and proficient in reading Italian and German. He is available for speaking engagements on data privacy, information security, compliance, and legal issues related to technology.
INTERESTS OUTSIDE OF LAW
Michael lives in Virginia-Highland with his husband Scott and his rescue mutt Sofia. He is passionate about mindfulness, LGTBQ youth, and animals (especially dogs), as well as classical and jazz music and performance art.
- J.D., 2004, Emory University
- Ph.D., 1995, Yale University
- M.Phil., 1991, Yale University
- M.A., 1989, Yale University
- B.A., 1988, Emory University
PROFESSIONAL & BUSINESS AFFILIATIONS
- State Bar of Georgia (Privacy & Technology Law Section)
- Atlanta Bar Association
- U.S. District Courts, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York (2008)
- State Courts of New York (2007)
- Superior and State Courts of Georgia (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia (2004)
- Supreme Court of Georgia (2005)
- Court of Appeals of Georgia (2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit (2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit (2006)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, CIPP-US (2020)
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA)
KEY REPRESENTATIVE TRANSACTIONS
- Representation of a Fortune 100 financial services company with negotiating enterprise deals with Microsoft, Salesforce, IBM, SAP, Service Now, Nuance and other market-leading providers of enterprise software solutions, including platforms for human resources/payroll, corporate and agent email and messaging, customer relationship management (CRM), and incident management.
- Representation of a Fortune 100 financial services company to negotiate deals with leading providers of data analytics, “big data,” and robotic process automation (RPA).
- Representation of a Fortune 50 media/cable company in a variety of cutting-edge deals in the areas of digital marketing and addressable advertising, including by representing a joint venture created for the purpose of developing intellectual property assets for addressable advertising.
- Representation of a leading provider of creative, marketing, and document management technology solutions to negotiate several deals for driving actionable customer insights.
- Representation of providers (from startups to market leaders) in negotiations of dozens of deals of software as-a-service (SaaS), platform-as-a-service (PaaS), infrastructure as-a-service (IaaS), and other cloud-based delivery models.
- Representation of a leading Israeli pharmaceutical company in structuring and negotiating a variety of development, collaboration, and commercialization deals.
- Representation of a Fortune 100 financial services company with negotiations regarding 1) a $100 million data center outsourcing deal with a major global technology services outsourcing company 2) a $75 million application support and maintenance (ASM) outsourcing deal with a major global technology services outsourcing company and 3) a $50 million network services outsourcing deal with a Fortune 10 provider of telecommunications services.
PRESENTATIONS, PUBLICATIONS, ETC.
- “Intentional Data Privacy: California Consumer Privacy Act,” will be a speaker at Information Systems Audit and Control Association’s Geek Week 2019 (August, 2019).
- “Intentional Data Privacy: California Consumer Privacy Act,” speaker at SecureWorld Atlanta (May, 2019).
- “The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA): Now is the time to prepare for changes required by California’s new privacy law” Trusted Counsel white paper (May 2019). Click here to download it.
- “GDPR Update: Your Questions Answered About GDPR and Data Privacy” Trusted Counsel blog post and podcast episode (August, 23, 2018)
- “California Enacts Groundbreaking Privacy Law” Trusted Counsel blog post (July 19, 2018)
- “The Enforceability of Online Agreements,” and “Trade Dress Protection of Websites,” Intellectual Property Law in Cyberspace (Second Edition), The Bureau of National Affairs/American Intellectual Property Law Association (2011 and subsequent dates)
- “Developments in Search Engine Privacy,” 26th Annual American Bar Association-Intellectual Property Law Conference, Arlington, Va., speaker (Apr. 9, 2011)
- “Intellectual Property Due Diligence in Corporate Transactions,” presentation to visiting members of the Chinese State Intellectual Property Office Delegation, New York, speaker (Nov. 3, 2010)
- “U.S. Supreme Court to Consider First-Sale Doctrine,” Intellectual Property Today (Apr. 27, 2010