EVELYN A. ASHLEY
Evelyn personifies the idea of a Trusted Advisor grounded in business and the law – a Trusted Counsel. She has wide-ranging experience and brings a refreshing, results-focused, pragmatic approach to the practice of law. Her extensive legal knowledge has helped clients grow, add value, navigate disputes, and realize value from their work.
Evelyn advises clients on matters including mergers and acquisitions, financing and investments, corporate governance, intellectual property strategy, as well as protection, monetization and licensing; commercial agreements and ventures, including manufacturing, distribution, and agency; entity structure and related issues, corporate spin-outs, joint ventures, and international transactions.
She has practiced in large, medium, and boutique legal practices, finding that the latter gives her the most professional and personal satisfaction and flexibility. After practicing with Morris, Manning & Martin and co-founding and building Balboni, Ashley & Schoenberg, Evelyn founded and grew Red Hot Law Group, which quickly became a noted technology boutique law firm. She was also co-founder of Red Hot Venture Consulting, a strategic consulting firm and incubator for technology businesses affiliated with the law firm. Red Hot Law was acquired by Long Aldridge & Norman (now Dentons) in 2001, and Evelyn served as a Partner, heading the Firm’s corporate technology practice. She left the Dentons predecessor at the end of 2003 to form Trusted Counsel.
Prior to graduation from law school, Evelyn served on The Coca-Cola Company’s mergers and acquisition team that created and took Coca-Cola Enterprises public. Her first employment out of college was as a tender offer corporate paralegal at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom in New York in the early ‘80s.
An early adopter and great trend spotter, Evelyn conceived “In Process: Conversations about Business in the 21st Century” in 2015, a radio show and podcast where national and local guests are interviewed on emerging business trends, ideas and techniques.
Evelyn loves creating and collecting art, choosing on the basis of what she likes, not what “experts” say is art… Evelyn and her husband Alan McKeon are avid travelers to both exotic and “usual suspect” locales.
Evelyn brings a refreshing perspective to every discussion, making every conversation about your business thought-provoking, engaging, and actionable.
- J.D., Georgia State University Law School, cum laude
- B.A., Eisenhower College, Seneca Falls, N.Y.
PROFESSIONAL & BUSINESS AFFILIATIONS:
- American Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Board Member of International Affiliate Organization, Interact Law
- nsoro Foundation Board Member
- Board Member of The Greater Women’s Business Council; Certifying organization for Women Owned Businesses in Georgia, North and South Carolina
- Investment counsel to a family offices; advising on analysis, diligence, strategy, structuring and implementation of technology company preferred stock and debt investments
- General Counsel to a number of data analytics and related services companies; issues related to tracking of consumers by camera, software and cellular phone data (privacy), best practices; issues in re: contractual protections, technology ownership, data use rights
- Structuring of an Investment LLC for group of four family offices and a preferred investment in a technology company
- Corporate and Intellectual Property counsel to an innovative introduction to Broadway theatre technology company using patent, copyright and trademark protected vehicle and technology; advising on corporate governance, multi-layered preferred stock capitalization, incentive plans, licensing and strategic investment and revenue generating agreements
- Strategy for the resolution of a minority shareholder dispute
- Asset Purchase of a London UK-based business-to-business social media company
- Structuring the sale of university and company developed patents, copyrights and related intellectual property of a liquidated entity; representing the secured creditors/investor group
- Reorganization of a corporate jet investment for a family office
- Sale of a patent and trademark protected equipment business division in two transactions
PRESENTATIONS, PUBLICATIONS, ETC.:
- “The Importance of Having a Board of Directors and Advisory Boards.” Presenter at the Greater Women’s Business Council 5th annual POP, Too! Power of Partnering Marketplace Conference at the Harris Conference Center in Charlotte, NC. (March 2019).
- Executive Producer and Host of “In Process – Conversations for Business in the 21st Century,” Bi-weekly podcast and radio show on Atlanta’s Newstalk 1160AM covering a variety of business subjects with national guests. (2015- Present).
- “Why Certify as a Women Owned Business?” Panel discussion (annual) (2017 through 2019).
- “Managing Cyber Risks: A Legal and Business Plan of Action.” Presentation at The Morison KSi North America Annual Conference (June 2017).
- “Prepping the Princess: Is Your Business Ready to Sell?” – Innovated and sponsored by Trusted Counsel, a variety of investment bankers, Aprio and Wilmington Trust Private Wealth Division. (2016, 2018, 2019). Prepping the Princess is a physical meeting with podcast series and physical book of strategy and information for business owners.
- Legal & Tax Strategies for Technology Businesses in the U.S. – Live presentation for The Incubation Center, NUST and OPEN Islamabad for Pakistani start-ups interested in the US. (May 2016).