JOHN P. MONAHON
John serves as corporate counsel for high growth technology and middle-market companies. His practice focuses on advising companies on matters pertaining to corporate finance, technology agreements, and mergers and acquisitions. He has significant experience representing venture-backed and private equity owned companies. John is forward-looking and implements legal strategies that allow companies to execute their business strategies, scale for growth, and prepare for exit opportunities.
In addition to his law degree, John also has an international MBA degree from the University of South Carolina. As part of his joint JD/MBA, he spent significant time working in the Joint Venture department of China’s largest law firm.
John is also a co-founder of The Christmas Tree Hugger, a fun holiday product which has appeared on Shark Tank, CNBC and Fortune magazine. It is currently available through major retailers across the country.
With partner Evelyn Ashley at Trusted Counsel, John co-hosts a regular podcast on business topics called “In Process: Conversations about Business in the 21st Century.” Now in the third year and with over 6,000 downloads, the show audience keeps growing, month my month. You can find the show on iTunes as “In Process Podcast” and on our firm’s website.
Interests outside of law
John enjoys spending time with his family, watching college football and playing tennis. He is married to his wife Soo and has three young children.
J.D., 2006, University of South Carolina School of Law
I.M.B.A., 2006, University of South Carolina, Moore School of Business
B.A., 2002, University of South Carolina
Professional & Business Affiliations
Georgia Bar Association
South Carolina Bar Association
Member of the Business and Technology Bar Sections
Member of Metro Atlanta Chamber of commerce
Member of International Association of Privacy Professionals
Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce
Board member of the Atlanta Gamecocks Club
Member of National Association of Asian Professionals
Mentor for The HUB, fostering social entrepreneurs
Speaks on various entrepreneurial issues for organizations, including the Small Business Administration.
- Represented a mobile design and strategy company in connection with master service agreements for various Fortune 500 companies.
- Represented an inventory management software company in structuring its global software distribution model, including drafting reseller agreements, SaaS agreements, software licensing agreements, support terms, and end user terms.
- Represented a cloud-based photo sharing website in becoming a payment aggregator, including structuring and drafting sub-merchant agreements, commercial entity agreements, and payment processing agreements.
- Represented an IT equipment reseller in connection with a master service agreement for one of the world’s largest payment processors.
- Represented a regional cloud services company in drafting and structuring its cloud services agreements, support level agreements, and acceptable use policies.
- Represented an early childhood education company in intellectual property and licensing matters pertaining to the development of a government funded online education portal.
- Represented a software development company allowing a Fortune 500 financial company to “white label” and resell various solutions.
Presentations, Publications, Etc.
- "The Name of Their Company is What?!":Strategies for Dealing with Trademark Infringement, NAMWOLF Annual Meeting & Law Firm Expo, New York, NY. (September 2017)
- Co-Executive Producer and Host, “In Process – Conversations for Business in the 21st Century,” Bi-weekly podcast and radio show on Atlanta's Newstalk 1160 covering a variety of business subjects with national guests. (2015- Present)
- Guest host on sale of business issues for “The Dana Barrett Show,” radio show (1190AM, Atlanta, GA). (September 2015)
- Contributor, “In With the In Crowd? The Entrepreneurs’ Guide to Crowdfunding (Or Not),” article for Forbes.com. (July 2015)
- “Legal Issues for New Ventures; Choice of Entity,” Kennesaw State University; Kennesaw, GA. (November 2013)
- “Introduction to Non-Profits,” American Nuclear Society Annual Meeting; Atlanta, GA. (June 2013)
- “Legal Issues for Start-Ups,” The HUB; Atlanta, GA. (May 2013)
- “Intellectual Property: Protecting Your Trade Secrets,” Trusted Counsel webinar. (August 2011)
- “Trademark Basics Every Business Should Know,” Trusted Counsel webinar. (March 2011)
- “Trademark and Copyrights,” Trusted Counsel webinar. (January 2011)
- “Trade Secrets, Confidential Information, and Patents,” Trusted Counsel webinar. (February 2011)
- “Legal Issues for New Ventures,” Small Business Association SCORE; Atlanta, GA. (September 2010)